|Products and Services
for Investors and Financial Institutions
A solid understanding of both the internal and external environment of the target company is critical to many of the decisions that investors face. Clearly, the risk of the transaction is reduced if decisions are made based on robust market intelligence and company insight. Market dynamics, estimates of market size and growth rates, identification of customer needs, prioritization of customer targets, competitor analysis, as well as an assessment of the effectiveness of the management team can all be important elements.
Examples of Services
Here are some of the types of projects we frequently do, but, of course, each assignment is tailored specifically to the individual client’s needs.
- Offering Memorandum Review – As an investor, you undoubtedly receive hundreds of offering memoranda each month and do not have time to thoroughly study every one. For the ones that pique your interest, however, IRN can provide decision support. Our private equity clients often turn to us for a second opinion on offering memoranda. We can cut through the clutter and pinpoint issues of importance from a market perspective to help you determine the right questions to ask.
- Pre-Acquisition Screening – We often assist our clients with a brief scan of the market that their target company is active in to help them get an initial “lay of the land” before they commit to delve deeper into a deal. This helps bring to the surface critical issues for further study.
- Market Validation Due Diligence Support – For those deals that you decide to pursue, IRN can supplement your due diligence team from the market side. We examine the company, competitive environment and the external market issues of critical importance and provide assessments of your target’s performance and positioning in the market.
- Strategic Assessment – Our extensive experience provides the foundation for this key element of our services for investors. As a potential investor in a company, you want to know whether a company is doing as well as it could be, both strategically and operationally, or whether there are factors that constrain its performance. Through a combination of management interviews, site visits, and review of material from the company, we can provide an assessment that addresses these concerns.
It is our frame of reference that makes this possible, the accumulation of years of interaction with management on matters of strategic purpose, planning, corporate scoreboards, business design, organizational structure, and personnel. We have developed an understanding of what it takes to be a world-class manufacturing company, so we can evaluate what we see against this model.
- Management Team Assessment – Leadership team evaluations by IRN have been well received by equity and capital firms. We know the industrial context in which the management team is operating and use in-depth interviews to gauge both individual positions and the dynamics of the team as a whole. The success of an investment is determined by management at least as much as by market factors, so having an analysis in this area reduces the risk of any transaction.
- Post Acquisition Planning and Integration – Once a deal is closed, there is often an interest in improving operational effectiveness and performance. IRN can add value here too, whether through an extended strategic planning engagement, a short ‘deep dive’ into an immediate strategy situation, or ongoing participation in the company’s decision-making in our capacity as management consultants.
For examples of past projects, click here.
Why Choose IRN?
What unique qualifications do we have that make us a valuable addition to your due diligence team?
- We do it well. Because we do this type of work all the time, we are more highly skilled and efficient than someone whose primary job is in another field.
- We know what to look for. What are the elements needed for your market study, or your particular question? Our internal project plan spells it out. And, because of our broad base of experience in the manufacturing sector, we know the critical elements of success as well as the potential pitfalls that companies can encounter.
- We know where to look. Our years of experience in business research have generated years of familiarity with the types of sources likely to exist for various pieces of information.
- We can get there from here. The questions that clients have do not always lend themselves to straightforward inquiry. Part of our job is to figure out how to find answers, and that often means looking at the problem differently.
- We use multiple methodologies. A search engine does not reveal everything. IRN projects draw on both printed sources and human sources from a range of perspectives to paint a complete picture.
- We put it together in a way that yields meaning. Market assessment and company assessment involve not just gathering raw data but determining what meaning it holds for your situation.
- We tell you what we think. IRN provides conclusions and recommendations for businesspeople; we help you make better decisions.
- We think like owners. Our management assessments reflect an understanding of what is important to owners and what is needed for a company’s success. We approach this as businesspeople, not psychologists.